Bears Discover Fire
I want to review a book by Terry Bisson called "Bears Discover Fire." It's a collection of short stories that I enjoyed readnig. The title story won a Hugo AND a Nebula. (Those are the two major science fiction awards that you can get.)
As for the story's premise -- pshaw, I've know about fire for years! But, I like how in Mr. Bisson's stories something weird happens and then the newspapers cover it and then people go about their daily business again. That makes the story both exciting (escapist) and comforting.
I also liked this part:
Doesn't that sound great?! I want to try one! I want a newberry! Now! Newberry newberry now now now!
As for the story's premise -- pshaw, I've know about fire for years! But, I like how in Mr. Bisson's stories something weird happens and then the newspapers cover it and then people go about their daily business again. That makes the story both exciting (escapist) and comforting.
I also liked this part:
Another scientist said the bears were attracted by the berries on a new bush that grew only in the medians of the interstates. He claimed this berry was the first new species in recent history, brought about by the mixing of seeds on the highway. He ate one on TV, making a face, and called it a "newberry"... It was so sweet it was sour, just the sort of thing you would imagine a bear would like.
Doesn't that sound great?! I want to try one! I want a newberry! Now! Newberry newberry now now now!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home